What does “Music as medicine”, “Text Mining” and an “Arrhythmia tracker” all have in common?
Do you have a solution that will make our healthcare system better? “Music as medicine”, “Text Mining” and “Arrhythmia tracking” are just three of dozens of solutions that will be pitched next Friday (August 8, 2014) at the inaugural health-focused Triangle Startup Weekend. If you have ever thought about starting your own health company or just want to join up with a team for a fun weekend, this is an event for you. Local food, beer, mentors and speakers like Dr. Victor Dzau of Duke Medicine will be in full swing. No idea is too small!
In preparation for next Friday, nearly 100 local hackers, business professional and designers joined forces at Motorco to share their healthcare pains. Dozens of problems and solutions were noodled over and stuck to the wall (literally). Some of the ideas shared included:
- A simplification software program for overly complex scheduling of rooms and people
- A “therapist in a box” for law enforcement (“Am I dealing with a criminal or are they off their meds?”)
- A diabetes sensor
- A hearing test app
- A guidebook for shared decision making between patient and provider
- An improved clinical trial recruitment tool
- A disease prevention app that personalizes recommendations based on tracking and modeling of your online habits, and google searches.
- ….and your idea could be here!
Remember, these are just ideas! It’s your job to turn ideas and problems into a pitch for the weekend. Get your creative juices going, because you’re going to need them.
Friday PM will kick-off with idea pitching and team formation. Saturday we have an all-star line-up of MD’s, providers, business coaches and technical liaisons ready to help you build your product. Then Sunday is time to reveal it all to our panel of judges, including representatives from REX Ventures and Excelerate Health Ventures. Expect dress to be casual with lots of energy, learning and networking with local healthcare thought leaders all weekend.
Everyone out of the office, clinic or lab for the weekend, bring your best idea – it’s time to build a health start-up!
Thanks to our sponsors Duke Institute for Health Innovations, Grass Routes Networking, RTI International, BD, American Underground and CED.